Monday, January 28, 2013

Harlan Joseph Shanower, 1916-2013

Harlan Joseph Shanower (1916-2013).
My second cousin twice removed, Harlan Joseph Shanower, passed away last Saturday, January 26, 2013, in Aultman Hospital in Canton, Stark County, Ohio. He was born on November 8, 1916, in Welshfield, Troy Township, Geauga County, Ohio, to Olen Earl Shanower and Cora Edith Mathias Shanower. Our common ancestors were Harlan's great-grandparents John and Polly Roush Shanower, my great-great-great-grandparents.

I never met Harlan Shanower, but I know that he was a long-time firefighter and fathered a line of Shanower firefighters in Stark County, Ohio. He was also a World War II veteran and worked for Republic Steel for more than forty years, retiring in 1980. You can read his full obituary here.

The funeral service will be Wednesday, January 30, at 1 pm at Kreighbaum-Sanders Funeral Home, 4041 Cleveland Avenue South, Canton, Ohio  44707. Interment will be Sunset Hills Burial Park. Memorial donations may be made to the Stark County Fire Fighters Association, 306 Wooster NE, Navarre, Ohio  44662.

I'm saddened by the loss of another member of the family, and I extend my condolences to all who knew Harlan Shanower.

No comments:

Post a Comment